Saturday, January 13, 2007

Pushkar

I woke up yesterday with a fever, chills, and body aches, and spent most of the day sleeping. I'm feeling better today, although I think the doctor was wrong when he said it was a throat infection (I don't have a sore throat). It's probably the flu.

Mostly though, I'm homesick. I think this is enough of third-world travel for me. The next time I have a desire for exotic destinations I will watch National Geographic DVDs instead. I miss just about everything about home, even the rain. Here the skies have been clear and sunny for the 9 days I've been here. I miss riding my bike around the Seawall (what's left of it), fresh sushi, not having to worry about disease-carrying mosquitos or food or water, clean streets, hassle-free shopping, my violin, and of course most of all - people.

Pushkar was very good in terms of meeting new people though. I spent some good time with an unassuming, kindhearted Hindu priest who reminded me of how Douglas Todd described Jean Vanier: radiating the calmness of someone "who has fought his inner demons and emerged at peace." People like that are worth seeking out... maybe even to the other end of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home