Sunday, January 07, 2007

Roadside villages

Hi everyone. Hard to believe it's only day 4 in India. I'm starting to feel more settled.

I am now at a shop near Ranthambore National Park, after being on the road for most of yesterday. Between the major tourist centres in India are long stretches of countryside, and glimpses of a way of life that is as far from mine as you can get.

I have seen more domestic animals in one day than I probably will in the rest of my life outside India. There are cows, of course, and also pigs, camels, donkeys, herds of goats, remarkably tidy-looking stray dogs, buffalo, and horses. Everything roams around and onto the highway. I think I have seen more of these animals than I have human children. There are wild peacocks and monkeys too.

The farmers grow mustard, with bright yellow flowers blooming now, wheat, and vegetables. Dried cow patties are a commodity here, stacked neatly everywhere and stuffed into sacks for sale elsewhere. I guess all our cow dung in Canada just goes to waste.

As for the people, I can only know them from their clothes. And what clothes -- bright pink and red saris, brilliant colours worn by all the women, every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home